Sunday, January 17, 2010

Five questions to: Yusuf Islam (Cat Stevens)



For anyone who grew up in the ’60s or ’70s, the voice of Cat Stevens was a permanent and very beautiful part of the cultural landscape. From 1966, when he released his debut album, Matthew & Son, until 1979, he was one of the biggest pop stars in the world. In December of 1977, Stevens converted to the Islamic faith, and shortly thereafter took the name Yusuf Islam. Two years later he turned his back on music entirely, and spent the next 28 years devoting himself to spiritual studies, raising his children, and philanthropic work. He’s received numerous awards for his efforts to promote world peace, and has given away quite a lot of money. In conversation, Yusuf is sincere, modest, and witty, and he seems content with the life he has made for himself. It has been generally assumed that something about him changed when he converted to the Islamic faith, but, in fact, the music he’s making today addresses exactly the same themes that were central to the first chapter of his career: peace, the many wonders of the world we live in, and love.

Question 1 - You were at the peak of your career during a period when rock stars were elevated to an extraordinarily exalted position in the culture. The music industry that fostered that phenomenon has dissolved and been replaced by the Internet, which has changed the relationship between musicians and their audience. Has the public perception of musicians changed?

Yusuf Islam - It’s true that the Internet is an equalizer, and everybody can be a star now. Musicians are more touchable these days, and that’s a good thing. It’s certainly the way I like to live my life, and it’s why I don’t do concerts in big arenas—I prefer to be in touch with my audience.

Question 2 - When you were at the height of your success, did you enjoy it?

Yusuf Islam: Yeah. Nobody could not enjoy being the center of attention and having such adoration. But I felt that it was a responsibility, too, and I often changed my track so people couldn’t predict where I was going next. I didn’t quite know myself, but I was trying to be sincere whichever direction I went.

Question 3 - During the mid-’70s, you devoted most of your time to searching for some kind of spiritual anchor. What prompted that?

Yusuf Islam - Being larger than life, or being projected as such in the music business, leads you to question yourself. Some people try to forget about it by taking drugs or too much drink, but I was never like that. I was aware that there were very serious, big questions, and I was petrified about what might be in store for me.

Question 4 - What did you find in the Islamic faith that was lacking for you in other spiritual paths?

Yusuf Islam - It was the most direct and encompassing message I’d ever encountered. I was confused by many of the spiritual books because they used metaphysical and theological terminology I didn’t understand. But the Koran was very clear, especially about the fact that every soul eventually must meet its Maker and then be questioned. That, to me, was a wake-up call.

Question 5 - What’s the most widely held misconception about Islam?

Yusuf Islam - That there’s no link between Islam and Christianity and Judaism. There wouldn’t be Islam if there wasn’t Christianity or Judaism, because it’s all one long line of revelation. Seeing it from that point of view it makes you ask yourself why Muslims sometimes separate themselves from that large family that leads to Abraham and, even before that, to Adam. The only answer is that we’re conditioned to do it by thinking, Hey, I do things better than he does.


(From: http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:Vj73V97kBkgJ:www.interviewmagazine.com/music/yusuf-islam/+Yusuf+Islam+interview&cd=4&hl=pt-BR&ct=clnk)

To buy CDs or DVDs of this artist, click in the title:
Yusuf's Cafe Session

Roadsinger (To Warm You Through The Night)

The Very Best of Cat Stevens

Cat Stevens/Gold

No comments:

Post a Comment