Monday, January 11, 2010

Five questions to: Cesaria Evora


Although she's approaching 60, Cape Verde's "barefoot diva" only caught the world's ear a few years back when her velvety voice drove 500,000 Frenchmen crazy. Soon, that voice -- humble, dark, and tinged with an ageless melancholy -- made morna, the haunting music of her African island home, famous. It also catapulted the single grandmother to international fame. Three Grammy nominations and innumerable comparisons to Billie Holiday and Edith Piaf later, Cesaria Evora answer thosefive questions:

1- There are so many new styles on CAFE ATLANTICO. Was it a new experience for you making it?

Cesaria Evora - The music may sound different, but the original Cape Verdean sound is in there. So it was really nothing new. The differences are the Spanish songs and the Brazilian songs, but that was the producer's idea. I always liked those songs though.

2 -Did you travel to Cuba for the recording?

Cesaria Evora - I went to Cuba for one week, just to record the vocal tracks. All the music was already completed in Havana. Also, I traveled to Brazil for one week I was in Rio, where I recorded a duet with Marisa Monte. That's on the French edition of CAFE ATLANTICO. To Cape Verdean people, whether it's Brazilian, Portuguese, or Spanish, it's the same. We have a lot of things in common. Like the food in Brazil and Spain is similar to Cape Verdean food. The social life in Brazil is exactly the same as it is here; it's not that much a difference. We listen to a lot of Brazilian and Spanish music, so it has a lot of influence on our music as well.

3 - How did you like Cuba?

Cesaria Evora - I was only there for one week. When you go for a mission like that, there's no time to really get to know a place. You have rehearsals, you go to bed early, go to the studio. I went to a few restaurants, and that was nice, but I didn't get to see too much.

4 - So you enjoy cha-cha-cha and danzon?

Cesaria Evora - You know, the first song I recorded in Spanish was "Bésame Mucho." I've always loved singing that. It was used for the soundtrack to "Great Expectations," and it was a gold record in America, I think. Yes, I love cha-cha-cha, and I can dance it, too.

5 - Who are some of your favorite singers?

Cesaria Evora - Nat King Cole. He's fantastic, and I've always loved him and I always will, even though he's gone. There are some American artists I like -- Madonna, Michael Jackson, Prince....

To buy CDs of Cesaria Evora, click in the title:

Nha Sentimento
Cafe Atlantico
The Very Best of Cesaria Evora

To buy DVDs of Cesaria Evora, click in the title:
Live d' Amor: Cesaria Evora In Concert
Live in Paris


(fROM: http://music.barnesandnoble.com/search/interview.asp?CTR=99119)

No comments:

Post a Comment